Breakfast is a great time to start the day off right and connect as a family. Here are a few tips for how to make breakfast your first ‘family mealtime’ of the day!
- Gather around the table as a family and eat breakfast together.
- Talk about the plans for the day and what everyone is looking forward to. Here are a few examples:
- What are you most excited about doing today at school (or work)?
- What are you looking forward to doing this afternoon when we get home?
- How can you be kind or helpful to others today?
- Empower children to be part of preparing breakfast. It does not have to be complicated, slice some strawberries or bananas (or have older children help!) and let younger children place these on whole grain waffles or toast spread with low-fat cream cheese or peanut butter. This is a fun and easy way to get children active in making a nutritious breakfast.
For more tips on living a healthy lifestyle in 2016, check out this fact sheet from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (http://www.eatright.org/~/media/eatright%20files/nationalnutritionmonth/handoutsandtipsheets/nutritiontipsheets/16healthtipsfor2016.ashx).
Try out theses Cream Cheese and Strawberry Waffles!