Washing fruits and vegetables play a very important role in keeping your families protected against harmful microorganisms that could cause food-borne illness. There is always a chance for the growth of bacteria on the surface of a fruit or vegetable so washing them correctly will definitely reduce this from occurring. Following these basic tips will ensure your health and well-being.
- Wash produce under cold running water to remove any lingering dirt.
- If there is a firm surface, such as an apple or potatoes, scrub with a vegetable brush.
- Consumers should not wash fruits and vegetables with detergents or soaps.
- When preparing fruits and vegetables, cut away any damaged or bruised areas because bacteria that can cause illness can thrive in those places.
- Immediately refrigerate any fresh-cut items such as salad or fruit for best quality and safety.
In our video below, we show you the importance of washing your fruits and vegetables before preparing with a stunning visual representation!