Cooking vegetables like broccoli doesn’t have to be hard or boring. Try roasting your vegetables by tossing them with a small amount of olive oil, seasoning with herbs, and roasting in the oven between 325 F and 375 F. Below are a few more tips on cooking vegetables.
To maximize vegetable quality, always cook vegetables just in time (batch cook) to serve. To maintain safety, cook all vegetables to at least 140° F (MN Food Code). Cooked vegetables are best when they are held less than 20 minutes.
Cooking with Fresh Vegetables
- Cook vegetables in the smallest amount of liquid possible.
- Cook vegetables in the shortest amount of time for the desired tenderness.
- Cook most vegetables with a lid.
- For vegetables that have a skin, scrub well and cook with the skin on whenever possible. If the vegetable must be peeled, peel as thinly as possible.
- When cutting vegetables, use a sharp blade and cut in the largest pieces that are desirable for the recipe. Pieces should be uniform to allow for even cooking.
- Follow the recipe or directions for cooking a vegetable.
- Cook vegetables just in time to serve.
Check out our steps for healthy fruits and vegetables from the store to your table.
How to be sneaky with vegetables.
And how to keep your fruits and vegetables fresh for as long as possible.