Keeping an organized and stocked pantry will save time, money and make menu planning easier but its important to take care of your pantry! Check out our top tips below for keeping a safe and healthy pantry and from Chelsey in our short video!
- Use the first in/first out method – After grocery shopping if you find that you purchased an item you already had, place it behind the item in your pantry. This helps you use items that are closer to their expiration date, sooner.
- Keep items in their original packaging – original packaging has lots important information such as name, expiration date, nutritional information, serving size and instructions!
- Reseal your items before returning to the pantry.
- Keep your food items at least 6 inches above ground level – this helps keep food away from potential contamination.
- Store chemicals and cleaning items away from your foods. Separate cabinets or locations is ideal.
- Shop your pantry first before heading to the grocery store!