Stove and oven Safety
- Cook with Care-
-Never leave cooking unattended. Turn pot handles inward so that they are not pulled or knocked over. Position your oven racks before pre-heating to prevent burns.
- Keep Loose Items Away
– You should tie back long hair, roll up long sleeves, and remove any loose jewelry. Keep loose items, like towels or oven mitts, away from your cooking area as these can ignite and cause a fire.
- Protect Your Home from Fires
– Purchase a fire extinguisher to keep near your cooking area and install a smoke detector in your kitchen to help keep your kitchen safe from fires.
- Create a Child-Free (and Pet) Zone
-Setting a “Kid-Free” or “ Pet – Free” zone or using a baby gate can help keep children and pets away from your stove or oven to avoid injuries or accidents.
- Turn Off and Check Cooking Appliances
Make sure your stove burners and oven are off. Remove all items from stop top and inside oven. An oven should never be used for storage.