Storing berries can be kind of tricky and costly if not done properly. In order to get your monies worth with these fragile delicacies, it’s important to use a method that will help to sustain their short life span. In the case of berries, timing is everything. These quick and easy tips will help to keep your berries fresher and longer.
- Inspect your berries before you put them in the shopping cart – look for mold, mushy spots, leaky packages, discoloration, or berries that are shriveled – all of these are signs that the berries are old or damaged and you shouldn’t purchase.
- Store berries in the refrigerator for longest life and best quality. If your refrigerator has a fruit & vegetable drawer, store them there.
- Wash berries only just before using or consuming. Washing berries before storing can add excess moisture and promote mold growth.
- Using a colander – rinse berries under gentle, cool, running water to remove and dirt or debris.
- In most cases berries can be washed, laid in a single layer to dry on a clean surface.
- Option 1: lay berries in a single layer on a cookie sheet and set in the freezer. After a couple of hours, remove berries from the freezer and place in a freezer safe container to be placed back in the freezer. This helps prevent clumping.
- Option 2: place berries in a freezer safe baggie and lay as flat as you can in the freezer to try and prevent clumping.