The kids are out of school and the temperature is rising; that can only mean one thing–summer is here! The first thing that comes to mind about summer is vacation and travel. Whether traveling for work, vacation or sporting activity make sure to pack healthy on-the-go snacks.
Here are some great examples of quick and easy snacks to take on the go this vacation season.
On-the-go snacks (non-pershible)
Chasing stripes on a black top road, messy back seats, a ridiculous car load of luggage, and the inevitable boredom snacks! We want you to be fully prepared when you take your annual summertime trip. We want to avoid empty calories such as potato chips, candy bars, and sodas. Keep your snack bag full of these grab-n-go ideas:
- Raisins and whole grain pretzels
- Squeezable apple sauce
- Trail Mix- make your own with nuts, seeds, unsweetened cereal and dried fruit
- Granola bars
- Peanut butter or almond butter snack packs and whole grain crackers single packs.
Don’t forget to pack an iced down cooler. We want to be sure that it is kept 40* or below to avoid food borne illnesses, so keep it iced down. While snacks are important, so are your drinks. Don’t forget to ice down bottled water, sparkling water, fruit juice, or bottled tea. Here are some nice cooler snacks:
- Reduced-fat cheese sticks
- Greek Yogurt squeezable yogurt tubes
- Cut-free fruit such as grapes, cherries, mandarin oranges, etc.
- Turkey Bell Pepper Roll Ups- Take a one slice of lower sodium turkey and 3 slices bell peppers and a 1 teaspoon spreadable cheese.
- 100 calorie snack packs of guacamole and carrot sticks
- Sliced citrus fruits for infused water
- Instant oatmeal- my favorite is to add a teaspoon of peanut butter and jelly to unsweetened oatmeal. It tastes just like like a PB & J sandwich!
- To- go soups
- Whole-wheat tortilla (warmed) and lemon pepper tuna
- Microwavable popcorn
Airplane/Airport (TSA Approved). Remember the fluid limit of 3.4 oz in carry on bags.
- Dried fruit or all natural fruit strips and nuts
- Protein bars
- Empty water bottle- this way you can save some cash and stay hydrated
Look for some great recipes of quick and easy snacks this week via Dinner Tonight’s Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest page.
Thanks to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for these summer snack ideas