Is lunchtime the only break in your busy day? Make the most of your lunchtime by packing a healthy lunch and making time for exercise! Here are our tips for incorporating exercise into your day to compliment your healthy lunch choices.
Is lunchtime the only break in your busy day?
- Schedule your lunchtime walk in your work calendar. Think of it as an important appointment.
- Keep everything you need for walking at work. This way you won’t find yourself saying “I forgot my shoes. I can’t go.”
- Recruit some coworkers to join you. You can keep each other on track.
- Depending on your walking pace, the weather and how much you sweat, you may be able to wear your work clothes and just put on athletic shoes. Or you may prefer to change into a t-shirt.
- In cooler weather, you might need a jacket, hat or gloves. If you’re walking briskly, you’ll heat up in about 10 minutes, so don’t overdress.
- Bring your lunch or pick a route where you can grab a quick healthy meal at the end of your walk.
Read the full article from the American Heart Association here.
Make small changes to your usual lunch options to find a healthy eating style that works for you. The #MyPlateMyWins at Lunch video features small changes you can make to improve your food choices at lunchtime. For example, cut down on saturated fat in an entrée salad by using a vinaigrette, rather than creamy dressing and choosing protein foods that are prepared in healthier ways, such as grilled or baked, instead of fried.