Mushrooms are a delicious and nutritious addition to any dish! See our tips and resources for confidently using them in cooking!
Whole mushrooms can be an intimidating purchase. Learn how to spot the best produce, and then with a little rinse of cold water, you’re on your way to an impressive dish!
- Select mushrooms with a firm, smooth and dry appearance.
- A closed veil under the cap indicates a delicate flavor. While and open veil and exposed fills mean a richer flavor.
If you’ve opened the original package, place unwashed mushrooms in a paper bag inside your refrigerator. The paper bag will absorb moisture and allow them to breath, keeping them fresh for 1 week.
- Before using, use a damp paper towel or cloth to wipe away any dirt. Never soak mushrooms as they absorb and hold water easily.
Look at these tasty recipes featuring this delicious veggies!
- Beef and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Beef Kabobs
- Flatbread Pizza
- Sautéed Vegetable and Potato Hash
- Savory Onion and Mushroom Pork Roast
- Spinach, Mushroom and Feta Stuffed Flank Steak
- Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- Venison Stir Fry
To learn more, here is a great list by the USDA National Agriculture Library of resources. Click here to check them out!