A little advance preparation makes for a quick, healthy breakfast for busy families. Our breakfast egg burritos can be made in advance for a quick healthy breakfast. Try making several servings in advance this weekend so you are ready for next week!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 purple onion finely chopped
- 2 cups liquid egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat oil in a non-stick or well seasoned skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers and cook for 6-7 minutes or until desired tenderness reached.
- Mix cayenne pepper and garlic powder with egg whites and add to skillet. Continue cooking on medium heat, stirring occasionally to promote even cooking and prevent sticking.
- When egg whites are set but still soft and moist, remove from heat. Transfer to a clean dish and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before assembling burritos.
- Place each tortilla on a piece of plastic wrap.
- Add black beans to egg mixture and mix well. Divide egg mixture and cheese evenly among tortillas.
- Roll burritos, then wrap each in plastic wrap and place in freezer**.
- Once frozen, transfer burritos to a freezer bag or other container suitable for long-term freezer storage. For best quality, use within 3 months.
- When ready to eat, remove plastic wrap and loosely wrap in paper towel. Microwave on high for 2 to 2½ minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165° F.