Beef and Cheese French Bread
- 3/4 lb lean chuck or round ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes unsalted
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread unsliced
- 1 cup low fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomatoes, green pepper, olives, salt, chili powder, garlic and cumin. Remove from heat.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Spread meat mixture over cut slices.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 450°F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Cook’s note: This recipe serves 8 so you may have enough for lunch the next day. To reheat, wrap in foil and heat in a 350° F oven for 10-15 minutes or until hot. This results in French bread that is soft. If you prefer crispy bread, place the loaf on a baking sheet and bake 10-15 minutes or until hot.