This banana-apple muffin is a yummy way to provide a nutritious start to your family’s day or as a snack to refuel kids after school. The whole-wheat base, and mix of applesauce and bananas, makes these muffins an easy way to incorporate whole grains and fruit into your day. We like to pair a muffin with fruit and low-fat yogurt for a simple, yet filling breakfast. After school, this muffin and a side of fruit is perfect served alongside homework!
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium ripe bananas peeled and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash your hands and clean your cooking area.
- Combine white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk applesauce, milk, sugar, vanilla, and egg until well combined. Gently add bananas to wet ingredients.
- Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until combined.
- Divide muffin batter among 12 lined muffin tins.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until cooked through.