Cooking vegetables like broccoli doesn’t have to be hard or boring. Try roasting your vegetables by tossing them with a small amount of olive oil, seasoning with herbs, and roasting in the oven between 325 F and 375 F. Below are a few more tips on cooking vegetables.
To maximize vegetable quality, always cook vegetables just in time (batch cook) to serve. To maintain safety, cook all vegetables to at least 140° F (MN Food Code). Cooked vegetables are best when they are held less than 20 minutes.
Cooking with Fresh Vegetables
- Cook vegetables in the smallest amount of liquid possible.
- Cook vegetables in the shortest amount of time for the desired tenderness.
- Cook most vegetables with a lid.
- For vegetables that have a skin, scrub well and cook with the skin on whenever possible. If the vegetable must be peeled, peel as thinly as possible.
- When cutting vegetables, use a sharp blade and cut in the largest pieces that are desirable for the recipe. Pieces should be uniform to allow for even cooking.
- Follow the recipe or directions for cooking a vegetable.
- Cook vegetables just in time to serve.