A soup to warm your soul with a twist! Try our potato soup this week, it’s not all about potatoes…take a look at how we cut some calories and carbohydrates!
- 3 cups baked and peeled russet potatoes
- 3 1/2 cups cauliflower fresh florets (look for your grocery store’s ready to eat bag)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 cups fat-free lower sodium, chicken broth
- 2 cups 1% Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teapsoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 3 slices cooked low sodium turkey bacon crumbled
- Wash potatoes well with a brush under cool running water. Place potatoes in oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, or pierce potatoes with a fork and microwave on high for 5 minutes, turning over and microwaving for about 4-5 minutes until tender. Cool, peel and cube potatoes.
- Steam fresh cauliflower in microwave following ready to eat bag instructions, or boil fresh cauliflower in a pot. Drain and set cauliflower to the side.
- In a large pot, using cooking spray, sauté chopped onion and garlic on medium heat until tender.
- Add potatoes and cauliflower to onion and garlic. Stir in chicken broth and milk, bring to a slow boil.
- Use an immersion blender to puree in pot until smooth, or pour soup into a blender to puree- return to pot.
- Add salt, pepper, and yogurt to pureed soup and cook on low heat another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, serve 1 cup into each bowl. Top with shredded cheese, chopped green onion, and crumbled bacon.