A delicious and beautiful salad high in antioxidants and fiber. The roasted beets and carrots blended together make this a great side salad or can be topped with grilled fish or chicken to make a perfect meal.
- 3 cups fresh beets thinly sliced about 3 medium
- 3 cups fresh carrots thinly sliced about 3 large
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shallots peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup unsalted raw shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 6 cups chopped kale stems removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash hands, counter tops, and fresh produce thoroughly. Thinly slice beets and carrots, place on a baking dish. Pour 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over beets and carrots, sprinkle over with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, mix well to combine. Place in oven and roast for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove baking dish from oven and top with quartered shallots and pumpkin seeds. Slowly blend vegetables and seeds together and return to the oven for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, place rinsed chopped kale in a large salad bowl. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil over kale and massage oil into the leaves with your hands. Massage for 3-5 minutes until leaves are bright in color.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the lemon juice, honey, and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Place vegetables over the kale, top with feta cheese and drizzle dressing over. Toss well and let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to blend
Salad keeps well in the refrigerator for 1-2 days without the feta cheese. If making for a next-day meal, top with feta before serving. Try making these other recipes to top on this salad and make a complete meal.
Multifunction Cooker Frozen Chicken Breast
*Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrition facts label. If added, they will change the nutritional information.