Want to mix it up on the grill? Try this stuffed flank steak stuffed with veggies and cheese! Served up in beautiful medallions this is a great recipe to impress friends and family at a cookout or for date night!
- 1.25 pounds Flank Steak lean and fat trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon course kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Fat Free feta cheese
- Cooking twine
- Wash your hands and clean your preparation area. Rinse fresh vegetables under cool running water.
- Lay the flank steak on a work surface, cover it with a sheet of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or other hard and sanitized kitchen object to tenderize the meat. Once flattened and tenderized a bit, remove the plastic wrap.
- To butterfly your flank steak using a sharp knife, lay your hand flat on the top of the steak, and slice horizontally to cut the flank steak in half. Cut almost all the way across, leave about 1/2 to ¾ of an inch intact on the far end of the flank steak. Lay open the flank steak flat like a book.
- Sprinkle the salt on both sides of the steak and set it aside.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the olive oil is heated saute the mushrooms, spinach, and garlic until softened, wilted, and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Spread the spinach mixture across the laid open flank steak, leaving about ½ an inch on all sides with no filling. Spread the feta cheese on top of the spinach mixture.
- Select a long side to begin rolling from, begin by tucking a corner and rolling evenly across the steak, and continue to roll until it is entirely rolled.
- Using the cooking twine tie around the rolled flank steak to secure the roll and prevent the filling from spilling out.
- Place the flank steak on a heated grill over direct heat at between 450-500 degrees. Brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side, then move to indirect heat or turn the temperature down to between 350-400 degrees. Continue to cook for approximately 25 minutes or until steak reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and let rest for about 5 minutes. Slice into 6 pinwheels, remove string with a knife, or clean scissors before serving.