The perfect soup to add a fresh salad and whole grain bread sticks to! So zesty and delicious, a family favorite, enjoy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 tbsp unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked, whole wheat, small shell shaped pasta
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth reduced fat and reduced sodium
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can red kidney beans reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans reduced sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian style stewed tomatoes unsalted, undrained
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat until hot.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add broth, beans, tomatoes, kale, or swiss chard (if desired), pasta and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.