Creamy, tasty and healthy! Use some leftover chicken breast to make the warm homemade dinner…tonight!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast cooked and cubed
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tbsp canned, chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups canned white beans low sodium, rinsed, and drained (mash 1 cup of beans)
- 1 cup black beans low sodium, rinsed, and drained
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers chopped
- 2 1/4 cup low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low fat Monterey Jack cheese blend shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- pepper to taste
- Grill or cook chicken breasts on stove top and cut into cubes.
- In large saucepan, heat oil.
- Add onions and sauté several minutes; stir in garlic and continue sautéing.
- Next, add chicken broth, chicken, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, all of the beans, and the red peppers.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese and cilantro. Soup is best if flavors are allowed to blend an hour or so, or make it a day ahead and reheat the next day.
Calories 240, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g 9%, Saturated Fat 1.5g 8%, Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 45mg 15%, Sodium 320mg 13%, Total Carbohydrate 25g 8%, Dietary Fiber 8g 32%, Sugars 2g, Protein 21g, Vitamin A 10%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%