Leftover foods from holiday meals shouldn’t have to go to waste! With a little creativity, you can reduce food waste and serve your family another tasty meal using foods that you’ve already prepared. This shepherd’s pie is a filling dish that features mashed potatoes- a side dish that you may already have prepared for your main holiday meal.
To learn more about how to reduce food waste this holiday season, see our post on Composting During the Holiday Season.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoons dried or fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk, and salt. You can also use leftover mashed potatoes.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- When the beef is mostly browned, add in peas, carrots, onion, rosemary, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Stir and combine until beef is completely browned.
- In a 9 by 13 inch pan, make a layer of the beef mixture and then make a layer of the potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes and broil on high for 5 minutes to brown the potatoes on top.