If you are in need of a recipe to add beans to your eating pattern, this is a perfect recipe to try. These Stuffed Bell Peppers are made in a slow cooker; perfect for a busy day. In addition, this recipe is vegetarian, and by removing the cheese, it can be vegan. This dish is a complete meal, full of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. One pepper is filling and delicious!
- 2 bell peppers (green, orange, yellow, or red)
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans no salt added
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce unsalted
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 3/4 cup cheese Mexican blend, reduced fat, shredded
- 1/4 cup water
- garnish (optional, for garnish)
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and scrape out the ribs and seeds. Dice the onion and measure a ¼ cup.
- In a bowl, combine the quinoa, beans, tomato sauce, spices, onion, and ½ cup of the cheese. Fill each pepper with the mixture.
- Pour ¼ cup water into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the peppers in the water. Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours or on high for about 2 hours or until quinoa is tender.
- Remove the lid, distribute the remaining cheese (¼ cup) on top of the peppers, and cover again until the cheese is melted.
- Add cilantro, then serve.