Can you believe kids will be starting school in a few weeks? Summer has flown by and it’s time to get back into a daily routine. Some people think it is impossible to prepare a nutritious lunch during busy mornings but below are a few tricks.
What does a healthy lunch consists of?
Prep vegetables and fruits the night before- This will help save time and research has shown that kids eat more fruits and vegetables when fruits and veggies are already cut up.
Add in healthy sides– Examples: unsweetened applesauce, 2% cheese sticks, flax crackers, and salsa, nuts, low-fat greek yogurt, and fruit and veggie cups. A homemade cookie or whole-grain fig cookie is a-ok as a treat on some days.
Use portion boxes– There are many lunch boxes on the market that help keep portions in check. Get your kids involved in the process of picking out what foods go into each compartment to keep them excited. Examples: Bentology or Ecolunchbox
Think outside the sandwich- Variety is key for both kids and adults to eat healthily. Try a wrap, pasta salad, black bean tacos, or a PB& C (peanut butter and dried cherries on a bagel flat).
Here are a few Dinner Tonight recipes that make great lunches! Enjoy and be on the lookout for new lunch recipes!
- Apple Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Baked Potato Soup
- Banana Chocolate Pudding
- Beef and Cheese Pinwheels
- Black Bean and Spinach Quesadillas
- Broccoli Cheddar Egg Muffins
- California Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Salad Pita with Yogurt Sauce
- Chicken Salad with Curry Yogurt Sauce
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Deep Dish Pizza Casserole
- Extra Easy Hummus
- Food Safety: Back to School Food Safety
- Going Greek Dip
- Grape and Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
- Mediterranean Chicken Sandwich
- Peanut Butter Banana Pinwheels
- Salsa Beef & Rice
- Sandwich Kabob
- Strawberry Oatmeal Cookie Balls
- Taco Boats
- Tortilla Layer Sandwich
- Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
- Veggie Tots
- Yogurt Vegetable Dip Wrap
- Zucchini Garlic Bites