Selecting the right shape of pasta in your dish has the ability to take your meal to a level beyond your imagination. The following information will help you to make the right decision in order to create a delicious meal! Choosing the right shape for your dish can be challenging but we want to make it easier for you! See the guide below:
- Farfalline, Pastina, Fideo, Fusilli, Tripolini, Ruote, Orzo
- Linguine, Fusilli, Tubini, Rotini, Ziti, Tripolini, Rocchetti, Penne, Vermicelli
- Figli, Lasagna, Orzo, Fusilli, Rocchetti, Rotini, Spaghetti, Radiatori
- Ziti, Linguine, Penne, Mostaccioli, Rotini, Spaghetti, Vermicelli, Tubini, Farfalline
- Fettuccine, Tortellini, Linguine, Fusilli, Penne, Orzo, Gemelli, Vermicelli, Rigatoni
- Tubini, Ziti, Farfalline, Manicotti
Stop the presses because pasta doesn’t last lifetime! Contrary to what you think, pasta does have a shelf life and it matters! The following information will definitely help you get your money’s worth.
Shelf life matters! Here are the shelf lives for dry noodles:
Egg Pasta Noodles & Vegetable:
- 1-2 years depending on the best by date
- 3 years depending on best by date
Are you making the most out of all the pasta you recently cooked? Follow these tips to ensure your food is safe to eat for you and the entire family!
Leftover safety 101!
- Keep in refrigerator for only 3-4 days
- Planning your meals will help you utilize your leftovers better.
- Keep food as peak quality by immediately portioning into smaller containers to avoid bacteria growth.
- Always reheat food to 165 Degrees F.
- When in doubt, toss it out!
Which pasta should you pair which sauce?? Heres our guide from Escoffier.
Long and round: (spaghetti, linguini, vermicelli, and angel hair)
Olive-oil-based sauces work best with these long noodles. They coat the thin surface and cling to it without having too much noodle to drown out the sauce.
Long and flat: (fettucine, tagliatelle, pappardelle, linguine)
Creamy sauces like ragu and bolognaise. They require bigger surfaces in order to stick to the noodles and not just fall to the bottom of the serving dish. Look for ones that are wide and flat, like pappardelle?, for rich, hearty sauces. Alfredo sauce is great on fettucine because it doesn’t require as much noodle to stick to. If you are working with a meaty or heavy sauce, also chose a wider, flat noodle like tagliatelle to hold up the thicker sauce.
Short pasta: (ziti, campanelle, penne, rigatoni)
Short pastas are super versatile. They have plenty of surface to hold creamy sauces but they also work well with chunky ones because meat and veggies get stuck inside them or on them. Pastas with the word “rigate” in them have ridges. This makes them excellent candidates for light sauces like pesto or creamy alfredo.
Large, wide noodles: (lasagna, manicotti, giant shells)
Lasagna noodles are perfect for baked pasta dishes. They layer well with sauce, meat and cheese and give the dish structure. Shells and manicotti can be stuffed with all your favorite ingredients and baked to perfection.
Spiral noodles: (rotini, fusilli, cavitappi)
Looking for a pasta that will hold thin sauces like alfredo but can also handle meaty, heavy varieties? Look for a spiraled noodle like rotini, cavitappi or fusilli. The texture of these types of pasta allows them to gather a lot of sauce and not let it slip off. Plus, they can be easier to eat (no slurping) and are a major favorite with kids. You can also use bigger ingredients with these noodles, like cheese chunks, chickpeas and diced tomatoes. These larger items would fall away from a spaghetti noodle but work well with shorter, more textured options.
Short shapes: (bowtie, wagon wheels, cavatelli)
Noodle shapes that are short and thick have a more dense bite. They work well in pasta salads and with larger ingredients. They have ridges, curls and ruffles that make them sturdier and work well with hearty, meaty sauces.
Here are some of our favorite pasta recipes to use all your new knowledge!
- Baked Ziti
- Beef Italian Pasta
- Beef Stuffed Pasta
- Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
- California Chicken Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Bow Tie Sausage Pasta
- Chili Mac
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Easy Spinach and Chicken Pasta
- Eggplant Delight
- Hearty Two Bean Minestrone Soup
- Herb Infused Marinara Sauce
- Italian Shrimp Fettucini
- Making the Perfect Pasta
- Mexicali Turkey Skillet Casserole
- Minestrone Pasta
- Orzo Garlic Chicken
- Pasta Salad with Peas and Ham
- Ravioli and Tomatoes
- Salmon Bowtie Pasta
- Skillet Gnocchi
- Skillet Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Pork Cacciatore
- Soba Noodle and Snap Pea Salad
- Southern Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp Pasta
- Spinach Pasta Toss
- Summer Veggies with Bow-Tie Pasta
- Tortellini Kabobs