Try our Chicken Gumbo for a lighter version of your favorite Cajun-inspired dish! Packed with colorful veggies and flavorful spices this recipe is sure to be a family fave!
- 12 ounces chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups of frozen chopped okra
- 4 cups brown rice (cooked)
- Wash your hands and clean your preparation area. Rinse any fresh vegetables under cool running water before using.
- Cook chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cutting the chicken up into bite-size pieces until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat the skillet to medium-high heat and add oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, and Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring often, for about 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables, until the flour browns, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to release their juices, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, cover, increase heat to high and bring to boil.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, along with okra and brown rice; reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook until the okra is heated through, about 10 minutes.