Southwest Bean Burrito
This delicious burrito is a refreshing and filling meal. You can eat the bean mixture in a burrito or add it to a bowl of steamed rice. Don’t be afraid to add a few other flavors like lime juice! Have fun with this Southwestern Bean Burrito recipe!
- 3/4 cup reduced fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 small avocados seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 15 ounce can unsalted black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 8.75 ounce can unsalted kernel corn drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Combine together the black beans, corn, garlic powder, avocado, onion, and chopped tomato.
- If you would like to add the jalapeño and cilantro combine it with the above ingredients
- Set aside mixture
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes with olive oil; reduce heat to medium.
- Cook tortilla for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned, turning twice.
- Transfer tortilla to a baking pan.
- Place cheese and 1/8 prepared mixture on side of tortilla and fold to make burrito (You can use a toothpick to hold together).
- Place burrito in oven for 5-10 minutes and turn once to toast both sides until heated through and through. May broil for 3 minutes to make crispy.
- Serve while hot.