All tomatoes are fruits of the plant, although they’re typically referred to and used as vegetables when cooking. Here’s a guide to the most popular varieties and their best culinary uses!
With so many different types, it can be difficult to choose the best one for your cooking needs.
For reference, here are the best types of tomatoes for various purposes:
- Sauces: Roma, heirloom, tomatoes on the vine
- Canning: Roma, heirloom, tomatoes on the vine, green tomatoes
- Salads: grape, cherry
- Skewers: cherry
- Sandwiches: beefsteak, tomatoes on the vine
- Fried: green tomatoes
- Snacks: grape, cherry, heirloom
Although some varieties are better suited for specific purposes, they’re all versatile. For instance, although beefsteak tomatoes are not ideal for salads, they can still easily be used in one with tasty results.
Although there are thousands of varieties of tomato, they can be divided into seven broad categories.
Each type has its own best uses, but they’re all low in calories and rich in nutrients and antioxidants like vitamin C, beta carotene, and lycopene.
Try some of our recipes featuring this delicious summer fruit!
- Apricot & Tomato Salad
- Catfish Tacos with Pico de Gallo and Avocado Crema
- Chicken Caprese Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Onion Dip
- Grape Tomato and Cilantro Salad
- Kale Quiche
- Margherita Pizza
- Marinated Tomatoes
- Roasted Edamame and Corn Salad
- Sausage and Veggie Skewers
- Spicy Pea and Avocado Toast
- Taco Boats
- Tomato 101
- Tomato Crisps
- Tortellini Kabobs
- Turkey Chili
Tomatoes are an excellent food to include in your diet and using this guide can help you choose the right type for your cooking needs.