How do I be more creative with my vegetable game? How do I repurpose leftover vegetables? Our answer: VEGGIE TOTS! Try this fun and tasty recipe at your next meal.
- 2 cups russett potatoes ready to serve
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets thawed
- 1.5 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Servings: servings (4 tots per serving)
- Preheat oven to 425F, place oven rack in the middle of the oven and line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Steam or microwave the potatoes to the point where a fork is easily inserted but its too tough to eat (20 seconds for ready to eat potatoes in microwave)
- Once they are cooked, drain them and set them aside to cool down.
- Then place 2 cups of thawed broccoli florets into your food processor and pulse it until the broccoli resembles coarse rice. (should yield 1 1/2 cups chopped)Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the finely chopped broccoli and transfer into a large bowl.
- Next, pulse the semi-cooked potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of the Parmesan cheese; pulse just enough to break up the potatoes and combine then with the cheese.
- Place the cheese and potato mixture into the bowl with the broccoli.Add seasoning into the large bowl and fold all ingredients with a large spatula to combine all ingredients evenly.
- Then place grated parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs into small bowl.Form small balls with a 1 tablespoon size cookie scoop or your hands and a spoon with the folded. Once the ball is formed, roll each veggie tot in the grated cheese and bread crumb coating
- Place each veggie tot on the baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.Bake 12 minutes, until golden brownRemove from the oven, let cool for 2-3 minutes and enjoy!
Air Fryer Instructions
- Complete instructions 2-8 from the "Oven Instructions" section.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F and set the time for 7 minutes.
- Once preheated, place food on the tray/basket making sure not crowd the tots. Spray the top of the tots with non-stick cooking spray.
- Close the air fryer and start the cooking. Halfway through, turn the tots over and spray the tops with non-stick cooking spray and finish the cooking.
- Note: you might have to cook the tots in batches.
May use fresh potatoes for this recipe instead of the ready to use russet potatoes.