Our Classic Meat Loaf is a delicious homestyle comfort food that will warm your soul. The ingredients for this recipe are usually available in your kitchen and can be made in the traditional oven, or try to make in half the time in the air fryer.
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup 1% Milk
- 16 ounces frozen spinach leaves thawed and drained
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano dry, ground
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole wheat soft breadcrumbs about 4 slices of bread
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs Italian seasoned
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon mustard
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, spinach, onion, and seasonings together.
- Add dry breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, and lean ground meat into the wet mixture. Using clean hands, mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Lightly spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Transfer the meat mixture to the pan, and pat well until evenly distributed.
- Bake in the oven set at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, stir together tomato sauce, brown sugar, and mustard over medium heat.
- Spoon off any excess fat from the top of the meatloaf. Pour the cooked tomato sauce over the meatloaf.
- Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has a sticky consistency.
- Remove from the oven and let the loaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Air Fryer Cooking Instructions
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all wet and dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Divide the meat mixture into two equal parts.
- Form and shape each half into small meatloaves.
- Place in the air fryer for 25 minutes.
- Spoon over the tomato sauce and cook an additional 7-10 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove loaves from air fryer and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
To make soft breadcrumbs: Place fresh bread slices into a food processor. Blend until broken into crumbs. (4 slices of bread will make about 2 cups of breadcrumbs)