Valentine’s Day is a great time to share a breakfast with someone you love. Our Sweetheart Waffles are a low-fat option for a quick breakfast recipe. We reduced the fat in this recipe by using unsweetened applesauce which also makes these waffles moist. Add this to your list of recipes for a great Valentine’s Day treat.
The Super Bowl is a great time to be with friends and family. No matter what team you are cheering for! Whether you come for the food, commercials, or the game; trying to navigate the snacks or food table at a party can seem a little intimidating if you are trying to follow a healthy eating pattern. Here are 5 tips to help you win on Sunday!
- Bring something healthy to the party
- Super Bowl parties are full of different size portions and types of snacks. It can be hard knowing which option might be a healthy pick. Try preparing and bringing your own healthy snack. Our Black Bean and Spinach Quesadillas make a great party snack.
- Count your mini snacks
- Mini sized snacks are great as pre-portioned versions of their larger counterparts. However stacking up on mini portions doesn’t mean mini calories. Follow tip 3 below on how to make your plate a healthy win!
- Pick the right plate
- The table is set, the food is out, and the plates are large! When filling your plate for a snack, choose a smaller plate like a salad plate. Remember to make your plate just like MyPlate.
- Vary the foods you choose
- Try not to fill your plate with one snack. Just as with any meal, be sure to choose a variety of nutrient-dense foods across all food groups. A healthy plate includes fruits, vegetables, lean protein, low-fat dairy, and whole grains.
- Stay hydrated with water or unsweetened beverages
- Try to lessen the amount of sweetened beverages you choose. Opt for unsweetened tea or make your refills water.
Baking at home is a great way to make healthy modifications to your favorite desserts! Our fruit clafoutis offers just that with a delicious recipe lower in calories, added sugar, and fat. Try our version of fruit clafoutis with our ingredient of the week or with your favorite fruit!
Avocados are a great addition to any meal. They provide a nice texture, color, and flavor to any salad, dip, or sandwich. However, slicing into an avocado can seem a little difficult.
Check this video out for a quick, easy, and proper way to slice one up for your meal tonight!
Remember to always wash your produce before preparing to help prevent foodborne illness.